Perhaps you were involved in a truck accident on State Route 104, I-520, or Route 28 in which the driver hit you because he was distracted, intoxicated, or simply not paying attention. If you were, you aren’t alone. A startling number of motorists are involved in dangerous collisions each year that were the fault of tractor-trailer drivers.
Drivers of tractor-trailers and other large trucks have responsibilities to operate their massive vehicles safely and unfortunately, this isn’t always the case. As you may imagine, those who are the victims of such accidents experience dangerous, sometimes life-threatening injuries, and there’s not much they can do about it.
Truck Accident Statistics That Will Surprise You
Although most truckers take their jobs very seriously, thousands of motorists will be injured this year due to negligence on the part of truckers.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Commission stated that 104,000 truck accident injuries occurred in 2012. Of these accidents:
- 76,000, or 73 percent of those hurt were occupants of other vehicles.
- 3,000, or 3 percent of injuries were inflicted on people not occupying vehicles, such as pedestrians, bystanders, and bicyclists.
- 25,000, or 24 percent were occupants of large trucks.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Commission also concluded that 3,971 people were fatally hurt in truck-related accidents that same year. Of these crashes:
- 697, or 18 percent of those killed were occupants of large trucks.
- 2,843, or 73 percent of those killed were occupants of other vehicles.
- 381, or 10 percent of those killed were non-occupant victims.
Contact Us Today If You Were Injured in a Truck Accident. You May Be Entitled to Compensation.
If you’ve suffered from head injuries, broken bones, lacerations, or other injuries from involvement in a truck accident, you may be entitled to receive financial compensation that can help pay for medical bills, time away from work, and vehicle repairs.
Contact attorney Christopher J. Hudson today to learn about how he has helped other truck accident victims in the Augusta area receive justice for their crashes, and find out if we can do the same for you.