Savannah Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Bicycles are becoming more popular than ever as a means of both recreation and transportation. They are cost-effective, get the heart pumping, and help protect the environment. While the benefits are numerous, bicycles can also be dangerous. There has been an increase in the number of bike lanes and bike paths that cater to two wheels, but not all drivers choose to head those lanes or pay attention to their surroundings. It’s these negligent and reckless drivers that make Savannah roads treacherous for bicyclists. When two wheels go up against four, chances are it’s the rider who is going to suffer the most serious injuries.
If you’ve been injured in an accident while riding your bike you understand the pain and frustration of being left to fend for yourself. While you try to recover from the accident, medical bills are piling up, and work is calling wondering when you’ll be back. Money is growing short while bills just keep mounting. Is it fair that making a healthy or environmentally conscious decision has cost you everything? The answer is no. A negligent driver should not be able to walk away from an accident without being held responsible for their reckless actions.
The legal team at Chris Hudson Law Group can help you get back on your feet again, recover the compensation you need to take care of your medical expenses, and hold the negligent driver accountable. Insurance companies want a quick settlement and cheap payout, does that sound like it is in your best interest? Contact Chris Hudson Law Group and get an experienced attorney on your side, protecting your rights, and looking out for what’s best for you. Contact us at 706-863-6600 today to discuss the details of your particular case.
Bicycle Accident Claims We Handle
An accident can happen out of nowhere. Statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that when it comes to bicycle accidents, 71 percent of fatalities happened in urban areas. The agency’s numbers also show that even when there are dedicated bicycle lanes, you may not always be safe. 30 percent of fatal accidents happen in intersections and 4 percent of fatal accidents actually happen in a dedicated bike lane.
While the causes of bicycle accidents may vary, how our attorneys tackle these types of cases doesn’t. At Chris Hudson Law Group we treat every one of our clients with the respect they deserve, while aggressively working to get them the compensation they need. Our seasoned attorneys can handle a wide variety of bicycle accidents cases, including:
- Distracted driving accidents
- Speeding accidents
- Riding too close to a lane
- Right-turn accidents
- Intersection or lane merging accidents
- Sidewalk, parking lot, and driveway accidents
If you were injured for any of these reasons or another reason not listed here, don’t hesitate to reach out to us right away for help.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries in Savannah
When it comes to bicycle accidents, two wheels and an aluminum frame are always going to take the brunt of the damage when involved with a 3,000-pound passenger vehicle. Even accidents at relatively low speeds can cause devastating injuries and even death to unsuspecting bicycle riders. Numbers from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that in 2018, 857 bicyclists were killed in traffic-related accidents.
Riders who survive a dangerous encounter with a vehicle may still face an uphill battle when it comes to dealing with the aftermath of their accident. That’s because many injuries related to bicycle accidents can be life-threatening, even life-altering. Some of the more common types of injuries associated with bicycle accidents can include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Facial and dental injuries
- Fractured bones
- Soft tissue damage
- Internal bleeding
- Road rash
- Cuts and bruises
- Wrongful death
It can take a tremendous amount of time for the body to recover from these types of serious injuries. It can also take an enormous amount of money to recover from the aftermath of a serious bicycle accident. Hospital bills, doctor bills, surgical costs, rehabilitation costs, physical therapy, it may seem like there is no end to the bills.
The unfortunate reality following a bicycle accident is as your costs go up, chances are your income is going down because you are unable to work or need to take time off in order to recover from your injuries. Don’t let an insurance company tell you what your injuries are worth, let an attorney with experience handling bicycle accident cases help you assess what fair compensation should look like. The attorneys with Chris Hudson Law Group can give you the advice you need following a Savannah bicycle accident.
What to Do Following a Bicycle Accident
In the momen,t it can be difficult to fully grasp what is going on around you after you’ve been hit by a motorist. The number one thing that you need to do immediately following an accident is to get yourself to safety. If you are in the middle of the road, or in a high traffic area, make sure that you move to a safe location so that you aren’t the victim of another crash. Your health and safety are of the utmost concern. Once you are in a safe location here are the steps that you need to take following the crash:
Get medical help and wait for authorities to arrive
- Again, your health and safety is the top priority following an accident. If you have suffered serious injuries call 911 and wait for medical help to arrive. One of the mistakes bicycles make is not seeking medical attention after an accident, even if they feel fine. The adrenaline in your body following a traumatic event like an accident may make you feel as if nothing is seriously wrong. No matter how minor you think the accident was, you must follow up with a medical provider. The signs and symptoms of even major internal damage may not be immediate and putting off treatment can jeopardize your health.
Gather Important Information
- If you are able, make sure you exchange information with the motorist. You will need their name, phone number, insurance information, license plate number, and the make and model of the car.
Get witness information
- If there are witnesses to the accident present, make sure to get their information as well including their name and contact information.
Document what happened
- Make sure that you gather your own information on the accident. Take as many pictures as you can of the damage, the road, your injuries, and the vehicle that hit you. While it is fresh in your mind make sure you write down, in detail, what happened. Take note of weather conditions, whether the driver seemed distracted, traffic patterns, anything that you can remember about what happened just before the collision.
Get a copy of the police report
- Make sure that the police are notified and that they file a report about the accident. Give them a statement, take down the officer’s name and accident report number, and make sure to get a final copy of the report.
Stay off social media
- While it is tempting to go online and share your experience with family and friends resist the urge. An insurance company or their attorney will be on the lookout for anything that could potentially twist and turn against you, resulting in less money than what you deserve.
Contact an experienced attorney
- Your first instinct may be to negotiate with the driver’s insurance company and be done with this whole ordeal. Before you talk to anyone, talk to an attorney. An insurance company is a for-profit business, they want to keep their money and they may mean giving you a fraction of what you truly deserve. An attorney can protect your legal rights after an accident, and fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Why Choose Chris Hudson Law Group to Handle a Bicycle Accident Case
When it comes to bicycle accident cases, experience matters. That’s what the attorneys with Chris Hudson Law Group offer, solid experience in personal injury cases. We know the tactics that insurance companies use to prey upon hurt and inexperienced bicyclists. They are counting on the fact that you haven’t been in an accident before, don’t know what to expect, and are desperate for a settlement. They may even attempt to intimidate you and force you into an arrangement that you aren’t comfortable with.
The attorneys at Chris Hudson Law Group are dedicated to fighting for you and your family. We know how to go head-to-head with insurance companies and their lawyers in order to protect your rights and get you the full compensation you deserve, not what an insurance company thinks they can afford.
Contact Chris Hudson Law Group Today
If you or a loved one were severely injured in a bicycle accident, seek the assistance of a qualified and compassionate Savannah personal injury attorney right away. At Chris Hudson Law Group we handle your case on a contingency basis, which means you don’t owe us anything until you get your monetary award.
Don’t let an insurance company strong-arm you into taking less than what you deserve. Contact us today at 706-863-6600 in order to schedule your free consultation and learn more about your legal rights following a bicycle accident.