Wrongful Death Lawyer in Augusta
Losing someone you love in a preventable accident is a senseless tragedy that no one can prepare for. It is overwhelming, emotionally challenging, and confusing. Having to decide about your family’s future while dealing with such a loss is very difficult. If you had a family member who died from an accident in Augusta that was someone else’s fault, you might be eligible to file a lawsuit. With the help of an attorney, you can hold the responsible parties accountable. You can also recover compensation that will help your family move forward. Our wrongful death lawyers in Augusta, GA, can help.
Do I Need a Wrongful Death Lawyer?
Your lawyer’s skill and experience in handling wrongful death cases will be critical to the outcome of your claim. They have an in-depth understanding of Georgia state laws and what elements are necessary to build a strong case.
With a wrongful death lawsuit, you must meet all deadlines so that your case can remain active. Failure to meet these deadlines can derail your case. An attorney will ensure you meet all deadlines and complete and correctly file all relevant documents to protect your case.
A wrongful death lawyer knows how to protect your family. Your lawyer will thoroughly evaluate your situation, assessing how your tragic loss has affected you and your family. That way, you can seek full and fair compensation. When valuing your claim, your attorney will consider all aspects, including:
- Medical bills for your loved one’s care
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of earnings
A compassionate wrongful death lawyer can also be a source of support for you and your family after the loss of your loved one. By handling the intricate legal details of the case, your attorney spares you this burden. Instead, you will have time to grieve and start healing.
Why Choose Chris Hudson Law Group in Augusta, GA to Handle My Case?
Chris Hudson, founding attorney, has handled a wide range of personal injury cases, including wrongful death, for more than 14 years. An Augusta native, Chris has lived in Columbia County for almost his entire life and serves clients from all over the Central Savannah Region. He graduated in the top 10% of his class at Mercer University’s Walter F. George School of Law.
Chris is a proud member of the State Bar of Georgia and South Carolina, the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, and the Young Lawyers of Augusta. He is also a member of the Builders’ Association of Metro Augusta and the Augusta Mortgage Banker’s Association.
When you work with our attorneys, we will tell you how we plan to pursue your claim. We keep a line of communication open with all our clients, keeping them updated on the progress of their claims. This helps eliminate confusion about the process.
We aim to take care of all legal matters so you can focus on getting your life back on track after your loved one’s tragic passing. When you bring your wrongful death case to us, you can rest assured knowing that your claim is in the hands of highly skilled attorneys.
At Chris Hudson Law Group, we know how to negotiate with insurance companies. We know about all the tricks they use to undermine your claim. You can be confident that our team will pursue the maximum recoverable compensation. If the settlement offered by the insurance company is less than fair, our skilled trial lawyers won’t hesitate to fight back. We will take your case to court to pursue every last dollar your family deserves.
Types of Wrongful Death Cases We Handle
Wrongful death happens when a person dies because of another party’s negligent action – or inaction – whether intentional or unintentional. Wrongful death claims are civil actions rather than criminal ones.
Unfortunately, wrongful death cases are all too common in Augusta and throughout the state of Georgia. Common types of fatal accidents that can cause a wrongful death include but are not limited to:
- Car accidents: This is the most common cause of wrongful death cases. Most car accident fatalities are caused by negligent behaviors, including speeding, driving while texting, running red lights, and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Truck Accidents: Because semi-trucks and 18-wheelers are much larger than other vehicles on the road, they are more likely to cause a fatality whenever an accident occurs. Commercial truck accidents are often the result of the trucker driving with an oversized load, driving aggressively or while fatigued, or it could be due to mechanical issues with the vehicle.
- Workplace accidents: With the many construction jobs in Augusta, there is no shortage of dangerous work environments. Whether a fatal accident occurs on a construction site or any other workplace, it can lead to a wrongful death case.
- Medical malpractice: Healthcare professionals have a duty to help patients to the best of their ability. Doctors who misdiagnose, fail to diagnose, or commit medical errors can cause a patient’s death. Negligent doctors, nurses, and other healthcare providers must be held accountable.
- Defective products: If an individual dies because of a defective product, the manufacturer of that product can be held liable. Defective vehicles, toxic foods, prescription drugs, and unsafe children’s toys are examples of products that can lead to wrongful deaths.
- Pedestrian and motorcycle accidents: These accidents are among the most likely to cause fatalities because pedestrians and riders have no protection. Pedestrian accidents are typically caused by driver negligence. Sometimes, the city of Augusta may be liable if the driver could not see the pedestrian due to a lack of visible walkways.
It’s important to note that this list is not comprehensive. While these are some of the most common causes of wrongful death, any party that did not take the proper care and contributed to the death can be held liable.
Chris Hudson Law Group understands that no two accidents are exactly alike. Each wrongful death case has its own unique set of facts. Our experienced wrongful death lawyers have the skills and knowledge to handle even the most complex cases.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) Regarding Wrongful Death
The wrongful death lawyers at Chris Hudson Law Group understand what victims’ families are going through when they bring a wrongful death lawsuit. You likely have many questions if you are dealing with a wrongful death situation. Below are some of the most common questions we hear from clients regarding wrongful death. Contact our compassionate and helpful attorneys at Chris Hudson Law Group with any questions you may have about your specific case by calling (706) 863-6600.
Who can bring a wrongful death action in Georgia?
Depending on the circumstances of the case, any of the following could bring a wrongful death suit in Georgia:
- A spouse
- The children of the deceased
- The parents of a minor
- The deceased’s estate
An experienced Georgia wrongful death lawyer can determine who has grounds in your case.
How do you prove negligence in a wrongful death case?
For your wrongful death lawsuit to be successful, you must prove the following:
- The defendant owed a duty to the person who died
- The defendant breached that duty
- The death directly resulted from the defendant’s breach
In plain English, you must show that the deceased would not have died but for the defendant’s actions.
How long do I have to file a wrongful death lawsuit in Georgia?
Under Georgia’s statute of limitations, litigants have two years from the date of death to file a wrongful death suit. It’s critical to file before this deadline, as trying to file a claim after the two years have elapsed is typically not a possibility.
There are some exceptions, however. Any criminal case dealing with the same events and facts as the wrongful death claim pauses the claim. The claim resumes when the criminal case finishes. Also, if the deceased individual’s estate does not have a will, the statute of limitations can be paused for up to five years.
Contact Chris Hudson Law Group About Your Case
If you lost a loved one in a tragic accident that was the fault of another party, our heart goes out to you during this incredibly challenging time. While nothing can bring back your loved one, a wrongful death suit can give you the accountability and financial security you deserve.
Seeking compensation with a lawsuit can be a confusing and intimidating experience. The skilled and compassionate wrongful death lawyers at the Chris Hudson Law Group in Augusta can help. Contact an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your wrongful death case. We can conduct a thorough investigation of your case and protect your rights. We will fight for the full and fair compensation you and your family deserve.